The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) provides states with significant flexibility to advance personalized learning and improve equitable outcomes for their students. This resource highlights emerging ideas states are considering as they leverage this flexibility through their implementation plans. Our goal for this resource is to highlight states’ leadership in creating high quality education systems that provide innovative and flexible learning opportunities. We hope to help stakeholders identify and better understand the benefits of diverse approaches to personalized learning. Finally, we aim to help states solve for potential unintended consequences of these ideas by opening the door to robust conversation among stakeholders and states.
= ESSA Plan Approved by the United States Department of Education
= ESSA Plan Submitted to United States Department of Education for Approval
This map indicates each state’s current stage of plan development. We will update information as states post new or updated drafts for public comment, when they submit their plans to the United States Department of Education, and when they receive federal approval. Click on each state for a full summary of the personalized learning elements included in its ESSA implementation plan.
A Nationwide Summary
Personalized Learning Under ESSA: A Look at Innovation and Trends in State Plans
The KnowledgeWorks policy team has reviewed state ESSA plans over the last several months. Trends have emerged as each state looks to further its own vision and approach to teaching and learning. The blog series below highlights trends and feature examples from state plans.
- Decoding ESSA: An introduction to the series
- Trends in Student-Centered Accountability Design
- State Examples of Bright Spots in Student-Centered Accountability Design
- Trends in School Support and Improvement
- State Examples of Bright Spots in School Support and Improvement
- Trends in Strategies for Educator Support and Effectiveness
- State Examples of Bright Spots in Educator Support and Improvement
- Trends in Supporting All Students
- State Examples of Bright Spots in Supporting All Students
- Editor’s Choice: Award-Winning ESSA Personalized Learning Moments